IES refers to the services that cater to the technical and managerial functions of the Government of India. The Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) conducts the IES exam and the Union Government of India appoints IES officers based on the recommendations made by the UPSC.
IES is a well sought-after career. Every year, hundreds of thousands of engineering graduates race in the IES exam for a few hundred seats. Possibly, this is why IES exam is considered to be a very tough exam. But, what does it take to crack such an exam? Is it the passion for achievement or the talent or the know-how? It is not the just talent which will fetch us the results but rather it is a right amalgam of far more important factors that defines a winner. But what are these qualities and how could they be acquired? How to prepare to get your name in the IES Results?
Nobody can give a user manual to ace the exam but here are some best tips to help you in the preparation:
- First, know the examination. Before kicking off your preparation, do your research and know what to study, then how to. It is necessary for a candidate to know the syllabus of the exam. Alongside the syllabus, one must be well aware about topics that are more important and high scoring.
- Second, an aspirant should have knowledge about the structure of the exam paper. The way of studying differs on the basis of the pattern on the question paper.
- Wholly study the subjects stated in IES Syllabus one by one starting from the subject that you find easy and mixing the order with the subjects that can be finished in less time. Subject should be studied from objective as well as straight point of view.
- After completion of a topic or chapter, solve previous year question papers.
- While practicing objective, take a clock and set the alarm to one hour and attempt 60 questions (as in ESE, you are supposed to do 120 questions in 2hr). After doing 60 questions verify your answers. Suppose you scored 40 correct and 20 wrong. Then attempt those 20 again without any time limit. Let us suppose that this time you got 10 correct, now attempt the rest 10 by going through notes, books etc. And in this way you will be able to revise more and understand more
- In subjective also do the same procedure, set a time limit and proceed.
- Generally, students have a belief that one cannot score good marks in the conventional but it is wrong. You are supposed to pay attention to some of the following facts and you can score well in conventional also.
- Conventional papers must be answered in English. Question papers will be set in English only.
- In the subjective paper, the first answer that you write must be the question that you can answer best because it will create an impression on the mind of the checker.
- Answer your questions in a neat and legible manner as there is 5% deduction in marks for illegiblehandwriting.
Marking Scheme in IES 2018
IES exam follows a well though marking scheme. The exam is conducted mainly in English language. There is a prelims exam and after that a main exam is conducted. Later, when IES results are declared, personal interview is conducted. Only successful students are eligible for the interview.
- The total marks in IES writer test is 1200.
- The questions asked in the exam are both of objective and descriptive type.
- The written test is held 10 hours. It spreads across three days.
- There are six papers each consisting of 200 marks.
- There is negative marking in IES 2018. 1/3 marks are deducted for wrong answers in objective type problems.
- Also, take care of your handwriting in the subjective type questions as 5% marks can be deducted for unreadable handwriting.
How to score good in IES Prelims 2018?
- Always specify each formula or equation you use in the answer. You are supposed to treat examiner as a layman who does not know anything.
- You can use the pencil to underline a good point or fact (I have done it). Try to inculcate figures or block diagram to provide the better understanding of your answer.
- If you can provide additional information on the question then write it as a note. For example, if a question of differential amplifier came then you can write, NOTE: Practically instrumentation amplifier is used instead of the differential amplifier as there are gain and input resistance trade-off in the differential amplifier.
- On reading this, the examiner will come to know that you have not crammed up and know practical answers. And this impression will fetch you more marks.
- Try solving questions to depth, marks will not be allotted for mere shallow knowledge so, don’t waste time with questions which you don’t know properly.
- In objective questions, don’t mark answers if not sure as there is negative marking of 33%.
- One may consider going for proper coaching for the IES exam, but it is totally up to the candidate because there have been cases where people have topped just by self-study.
- Students should prepare from their B.Tech in general.
How to score good in IES Mains 2018?
- IES Mains is the next stage after IES 2018 Prelims. So a better preparation is needed to crack this exam.
- A better approach is preparing one standard book for each subject to cover the complete theory.
- One should practice from books and question banks as well as previous year papers, they are important.
- General Studies and Aptitude paper is relatively new, so prepare the topics as given in the syllabus.
- Make short notes for important topics and formulae list.
- Don’t neglect previous years’ papers; this is applicable to every exam. It gives you a fair idea about the exam. Solve IES papers before you knock on the real IES.
- To get accustomed to the time limit, set time limit of 2 hours for the mock tests or previous year papers.
- It is advised to practice mock tests using OMRs as it will save time in the real IES 2018 exam.
- Study all the chapters in the conventional way but also focus on the objective way as there are objective questions which are scoring.
- One may consider going for proper coaching for the IES exam, but it is totally up to the candidate because there have been cases where people have topped just through self-study.
- Lastly, just have the confidence that you will get through IES 2018. The positive attitude in you will certainly go a long way in helping you clear this exam.